Wastewater Plant Operator I / II
To perform semi‑skilled work in the operation of all equipment in a wastewater treatment plant on an assigned shift. These classifications are assigned to the Miscellaneous bargaining unit for labor relations purposes and are subject to overtime, standby and call‑back assignments.
Wastewater Plant Operator I:
This is the entry class in the wastewater plant operator series. Incumbents initially work under direct supervision and perform the more routine operation work. As a trainee, incumbents are supervised more closely to insure compliance with established operations standards of the department, City and State.
Wastewater Plant Operator II:
Positions in this class are normally filled by advancement from the lower class of Wastewater Plant Operator I, or, when filled from the outside, require prior wastewater treatment plant operation experience. Appointment to the higher class requires that the employee be performing the full range of duties for the class and meet the qualification standards for the class. A Wastewater Plant Operator II works under general supervision and is expected to perform journey level plant operation work. Work in this class is distinguished from that of Wastewater Plant Operator I by the greater complexity of the work, by the greater independence with which an incumbent is expected to operate, and the required possession of a Grade II Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Certificate issued by the State of California.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Generalsupervision for the Wastewater Plant Operator I is provided by the Water Quality Control Supervisor. Technical or functional supervision may be provided by other higher level plant operation personnel. General supervision for the Wastewater Plant Operator II is provided by the Water Quality Control Supervisor. Technical or functional supervision may be provided by other higher level plant operation personnel.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS ‑ Duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Operate wastewater treatment facilities to control flow and processing of wastewater, sludge and effluent; monitor gauges, meters and control panels; observe variation in operation conditions, interpreting meter and gauge readings and test results to determine processing requirements.
- Operate valves and gates; start and stop pumps, engines and electric motors to control and adjust flow and treatment processes; operate and maintain boilers; perform routine maintenance work on valves, tanks and related equipment and facilities.
- Input plant operation data in computer; plot operational trends.
- Perform routine plant grounds maintenance work, including painting and landscape work.
- Connect and disconnect chlorine cylinders.
- Operate treatment plant vehicles and stationary machinery as required in a safe and efficient manner.
- Collect samples and perform routine laboratory tests and analyses.
- Assist in the supervision and training of less experienced operators as assigned.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONSWastewater Plant Operator I
- Entry-level principles and practices of waste treatment wastewater operations.
- Functions and purposes of wastewater treatment systems.
- Basic mechanical and electrical systems.
- Safe work practices around gases, electricity and chemicals.
- Learn the principles and practices necessary in the operation of a wastewater treatment plant including the operation and maintenance of wastewater plant machinery.
- Learn to make routine repairs and adjustments to motors, pumps and other equipment.
- Learn to operate a personal computer to track plant operation data.
- Learn to read meters and gauges correctly and to act quickly and competently when corrective action is required.
- Physically perform hard manual labor tasks.
- Understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Learn to collect samples and perform routine laboratory tests.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
One year of experience working with mechanical equipment and tools.
Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATE
Possession of an appropriate, valid California drivers license at the time of appointment, to be maintained as a condition of employment.
Possession of a Grade I Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Certification within 18 months from date of employment.Wastewater Plant Operator II
In addition to the qualifications for Wastewater Plant Operator I:
- Principles and practices necessary in the operation of a wastewater treatment plant including the operation and maintenance of wastewater plant machinery at a journey level.
- Basic operation of personal computer for data processing purposes and normal operation of the Wastewater Treatment Plant.
- Hazardous gases associated with treatment of sewage.
- Automated equipment as applied to treatment plant operation.
- City sewage plant operation policies and procedures.
- Use tools necessary in making general repairs and adjustments to motors, pumps and other equipment.
- Read meters and gauges correctly and act quickly and competently.
- Collect samples and perform routine laboratory tests.
- Access and interpret data from SCADA computer system and related software.
- Perform all plant operations without direct supervision.
- Monitor and operate facility without aid of other plant operators.
- Operate loaders and dump trucks.
- Perform skilled and semi-skilled duties related to wastewater operations.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
Two years of experience as a Wastewater Plant Operator in a position comparable to a Wastewater Plant Operator I with the City of Turlock.
OR Experience necessary to be eligible for a Grade II Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Certification pursuant to the education and experience requirements of Title 23 the California Code of Regulations "Classification of Wastewater Treatment Plants and Operator Certification."
High School diploma or GED certificate and six college units or CEUís in a related field or scholastic general education (i.e. Speech, Math, English, Science, Foreign Language etc.).
OR Education necessary to be eligible for a Grade II Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Certification pursuant to the education and experience of Title 23 the California Code of Regulations "Classification of Wastewater Treatment Plants and Operator Certification."
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATE
Possession of an appropriate, valid California driver's license and proof of automobile liability insurance at the time of appointment, to be maintained as a condition of employment.
Possession of a Grade II Wastewater Treatment Plant Operator Certification at the time of appointment.Desirable Certificate:
CWEA Certification - Mechanical Technologist, Laboratory Technologist, and/or Electrical/Instrumental Technologist.
Maintain the following physical abilities: See well enough to read, write and make observations, operate hand and power tools, vehicles and heavy equipment; hear well enough to converse on the radio, telephone and in person; bodily mobility to walk, bend, stand, crouch, or climb for extended periods of time, operate assigned equipment and vehicles, and perform heavy manual labor for extended periods; ability to tolerate extreme fluctuations in temperature while performing essential functions, lift equipment as necessary, and be able to climb ladders with a height of forty (40) feet.