Parks, Recreation & Facilities
The Turlock City Arts Commission (TCAC) was first established by City Council resolution in 1979. The Council articulated the need for an arts commission to "encourage, stimulate, promote, and foster programs for the cultural enrichment of the City, thereby contributing to the quality of life in Turlock, and to develop an awareness in the business community, in local government, and in the general public of the value of the arts."
Currently, the commission consists of 7 members and 2 alternates who are appointed by the Mayor with the consent of the City Council
. At least fifty percent (50%) of Commissioners
must actively participate in an arts discipline, providing a representative cross section among the major art and cultural fields. At least 5 of the active Commissioners must live within the boundaries of the City of Turlock. No more than 2 of the Commissioners may live outside of Turlock, but within the boundaries of the Turlock Irrigation District or Stanislaus County. Applications for an appointment to the Turlock City Arts Commission may be obtained from the City Clerk’s Office or from the TCAC office.
Among the duties defined by the City Council, the TCAC has been directed to initiate, sponsor, or conduct programs to further the development and public awareness of, and interest in, the fine and performing arts. The TCAC works with numerous public and private sector partners to accomplish these goals. The TCAC has been authorized to solicit funding from private, state, and federal sources available to the fine and performing arts in order to support these efforts.
The TCAC office is located in the City's Recreation Division at 144 S. Broadway. The TCAC meets on the second Thursday of each month
to coordinate ongoing activities, discuss possible programs, and direct staff. These meetings are held in the Yosemite Room of Turlock City Hall, 156 S. Broadway, and are open to the public.
The mission of the Turlock City Arts Commission (TCAC) is to protect and enhance the cultural richness and diversity of the Turlock community by promoting the visual, performing, and literary arts in the city.
To fulfill this mission, the TCAC:
- organizes and/or sponsors art exhibits, theatrical and musical performances, public readings and discussions, and other arts events;
- coordinates the display of art works throughout the city by public and private organizations and businesses;
- promotes arts education in the city’s schools and provides special art classes to school-age youth;
- encourages the Turlock community to support the arts through financial donations to specific art projects and to the TCAC’s program in general;
- provides advice and assistance to the City Council with regard to City-sponsored public art projects; and
- informs the general public about artists, arts events, and opportunities for becoming involved in artistic activities, through the local and regional news media.