Each winter, beginning November 1 through the end of February, the District's Check Before You Burn program lets you know if residential wood burning is allowable in your county on any given day, based on air quality and the type of wood-burning device you have in your home.
You can find the wood-burning status several ways:
* Call 1.800.SMOG.INFO (766.4463) * Visit www.valleyair.org * Through your local Fire Department, newspaper and/or newscast * Free smartphone app. search Valley Air
It is your responsibility to find out if you can burn on any given day. If you burn when it is prohibited, you will face fines and penalties.
For more information on the Check Before You Burn Program contact the San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District 209.557.6400
Winter Holiday Safety
Winter holidays are a time for families and friends to get together. But that also means a greater risk for fire. Following a few simple tips will ensure a happy and fire-safe holiday season.
* Be careful with holiday decorations. Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
* Keep lit candles away from decorations and other things that can burn.
* Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
* Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
* Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords do not get damaged.
* Keep decorations away from windows and doors.
* Test your smoke alarms and tell guests about your home fire escape plan.
* Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
* Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
* Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop.
Before Heading to Bed
Blow out lit candles when you leave the room or go to bed. Turn off all light strings and decorations before leaving home or going to bed.
FACTS * Two of every five home decoration fires are started by candles.
* Nearly half of decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source.